Adding Recipients Mid-Sequence
Mixmax does not currently have a way to add people mid-way through a sequence. However, sometimes you need to add people to the middle of a sequence, for example if you accidentally ended a 3-stage sequence for all recipients, and you had different recipients in different stages. Because you cannot currently add people back to the sequence so that they will start with Stage 2 or Stage 3 (all sequence recipients start at Stage 1), you'll need to create 2 new sequences, each missing the stages that the recipients already received. After you create the sequences, you'll need to add the right recipients to the stages.
First, create new sequences that contain the followup stages
In the example we're using, where you had a 3-stage sequence which you accidentally ended, you'll need to create 2 sequences:
- Sequence A: First stage is the content of Stage 2. The second stage is the content of Stage 3.
- Sequence B: First stage is the content of Stage 3.
Here's the process for creating Sequence A:
- Clone your original sequence. From the main sequences page, hover over the blue button with three dots (•••) on the sequence you'd like to clone, and click Copy this sequence from the menu that pops up:
Remove any stages your recipient(s) has/have already received: click the trash can icon in the bottom right corner. For the example we're working on, the recipients have already received Stage 1, so we need to delete. However, we cannot delete the first stage of the sequence. To work around this, copy the content of Stage 2 and paste it into Stage 1. Then delete Stage 2.
Now the sequence consists of 2 stages: Stage 1 contains the content of the old Stage 2, and Stage 2 contains the content of the old Stage 3.
Repeat create Sequence B: Clone the original sequence again, and paste the content from Stage 3 into Stage 1. Then delete the remaining stages.
Next, add the right recipients to each sequence
- Download the recipient report from the Reports page. Open it in a program like Excel or Google Sheets.
- Sort by the column Replied. Delete the recipients where Replied = TRUE, because you don't want to add them to your sequence (unless you set up your sequence to send each stage to everyone, regardless of whether or not they replied).
- Sort by the column LastStageSent. Now that you know the last stage that each recipient received, you can add recipients to Sequence A or B.
- Create a new CSV, and paste in the recipients where LastStageSent was Stage 1. You'll add these recipients to Sequence A — they already received Stage 1, and now they need to receive Stages 2 and then 3.
- Create a new CSV, and paste in the recipients where LastStageSent was Stage 2. You'll add these recipients to Sequence B.
- The CSV that you download will include the email address, FirstName, and LastName of the recipients. If you need other data from your original CSV, you'll need to use the vlookup function to pull this information into your new CSV. Here's more on how to use the vlookup function.